Code of Ethics
These ethics have been adopted by the International Coach Federation (ICF). Chārutā AhMaiua is not yet a member of ICF yet still adheres to their code of ethics.
The ICF Pledge of Ethics
I acknowledge and agree to honor my ethical and legal obligations to my coaching clients and sponsors, colleagues, and to the public at large. I pledge to comply with the ICF Code of Ethics, and to practice these standards with those whom I coach.
If I breach this Pledge of Ethics or any part of the ICF Code of Ethics, I agree that the ICF in its sole discretion may hold me accountable for so doing. I further agree that my accountability to the ICF for any breach may include sanctions, such as loss of my ICF membership and/or my ICF Credentials.
Part one: Definitions
- Coaching: Coaching is partnering with clients in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and professional potential.
- A Professional Coaching relationship: A professional coaching relationship exists when coaching includes a business agreement or contract that defines the responsibilities of each party
- Client: The “client” is the person being coached
- Sponsor: The “sponsor
”isthe entity (including its representatives) paying for and/or arranging for coaching services to be provided, could be the actual client or a 3rd party.
coaching engagement agreements should clearly establish the rights, roles, and responsibilities
Part two: ICF standards of Ethical Conduct
I. Professional Conduct at Large:
As a Coach:
- I will not knowingly make any public statement that is untrue or misleading about what I offer as a
coach,or makefalse claims in any written documents relating to the coaching profession.
- I will accurately identify my coaching qualifications, expertise, experience, certifications and ICF Credentials.
- I will recognize and honor the efforts and contributions of others and not misrepresent them as my own. I understand that violating this standard may leave me subject to legal remedy by a third party.
- I will, at all times, strive to recognize personal issues that may impair, conflict, or interfere with my coaching performance or my professional coaching relationships. Whenever the facts and circumstances necessitate, I will promptly seek professional assistance and determine the action to be taken, including whether it is appropriate to suspend or terminate my coaching relationship(s).
- I will conduct myself in accordance with the ICF Code of Ethics in all coach training, coach mentoring, and coach supervisory activities.
- I will maintain, store, and dispose of any records created during my coaching business in a manner that promotes confidentiality, security, and privacy, and complies with any applicable laws and agreements.
- I will use contact information (e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, etc.) only in the manner agreed upon by the client(s) and/or
other colleague(s) and myself.
II. Conflicts of Interest:
As a Coach:
- I will seek to avoid conflicts of interest and potential conflicts of interest and openly disclose any such conflicts. I will offer to remove myself when such a conflict arises.
- I will disclose to my client and his or her sponsor all anticipated compensation from third parties that I may pay or receive for referrals of that client.
- I will only barter for services, goods or other non-monetary remuneration when it will not impair the coaching relationship.
- I will not knowingly take any personal, professional, or monetary advantage or benefit of the coach-client relationship, except by a form of compensation as agreed in the agreement or contract.
III. Professional Conduct with Clients:
As a Coach:
- I will not knowingly mislead or make false claims about what my client or sponsor will receive from the coaching process or from me as the coach.
- I will not give my prospective clients or sponsors information or advice I know or believe to be misleading or false.
- I will have clear agreements with my clients and sponsor(s). I will honor all agreements made in the context of professional coaching
- I will carefully explain and strive to ensure that, prior to or at the initial meeting, my coaching client and sponsor(s) understand the nature of coaching, the nature and limits of confidentiality, financial arrangements, and any other terms of the coaching agreement or contract.
- I will be responsible for setting clear, appropriate, and culturally sensitive boundaries that govern any physical contact I may have with my clients or sponsors.
- I will not become sexually intimate with any of my current clients or sponsors.
- I will respect the client’s right to terminate the coaching relationship at any point during the process, subject to the provisions of the agreement. I will be alert to indications that the client is no longer benefiting from our coaching relationship.
- I will encourage the client or sponsor to make a change if I believe the client or sponsor would be better served by another coach or by another resource.
- I will suggest my client seek the services of other professionals when deemed necessary or appropriate.
- I will maintain the strictest levels of confidentiality with all client and sponsor information. I will have a clear agreement before releasing information to another
person,unless required by law.
- I will have a clear agreement upon how coaching information will be exchanged among coach, client, and sponsor.